Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky


With a sign I walk to the door and bar it behind Davy's kid. He might as well hunker down with the rest of us here. He may as well hunker down here, no reason to be walking around outside while Scratchy is drunk out of his mind.


As I make my way back to the bar, I can here that  drummer kid as panic begins to set in. Never been around guns before from the sound of it, much less in the way of a bullet before. Poor kid, it's a different world around here, not like those cities.


Break down the door? He can try, but no one that drunk could ever manage enough strength to break it down. His bullets are another matter though, it's possible they may wriggle through. Once he starts shooting at it though, that drummer better get down quick, don't want him getting hurt in his first day in town.


The guys are beginning to get irritated, it's bad enough dealing with Scratchy when he's walking around with his guns, but without the marshal here, the man could kill some one, they don't need that drummer reminding them.


Soon the nerves come for me too. Like a thousand ants are running up my spine. I grab my rifle quietly, don't want to alarm anyone, not that they aren't already wishing they had their own guns on them. I see the drummer, poor kids shaking to and fro. It would be better if he was behind the bar with me, so he could duck behind it in case. Don't know what I'm so worried about. I can just imagining that monster breaking down the door with a kick. He can't though, I know it. He's tried three times already.


I know Scratchy is one of the best shots there is here, and that don't make me feel any better. I find my self telling all this to the drummer. I remember that last time Scratchy got drunk, and the marshal shut him up with a bullet in the leg. I see the kid's eyes get wide, as he realizes how helpless we all are. Must be scared out of his wits.


I can hear him shouting down the street, slowly marching up the street. I imagine him swinging his pistols around his head.  As he gets closer I begin to make out his words, he wants a fight. Probably doesn't even know that the marshal isn't here to fight him and put him back in his place. What was so important in San Antonio that he had to leave for there. Now of all times.



3 comments:

  1. Team MAL, this is a response coming to you by TEAM WHY which is represented by Josh Z and Savanah A. This was probably my favorite post to respond too. It was very creative and interesting to read. You guys hit all of the main points that occurred in the story, but yet made them your own. The parts I like the most was at the end when you guys stated "he had to leave for there. Now of all times." This was a great end line and really hit him the main problem of the story. In addition I also was very impressed with the line "I know scratchy is one of the best shots there is here." Yet again showing a vital part to the story as a whole but re-wording into a more intriguing form. Overall fantastic post and definitely deserves every praise given. Great Job Guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this is Alex Dankers from rejectdeductions.wordpress.com! This story was an interesting response because it looked at Crane's story from a different point-of-view: first person. By incorporating first person, the content of the story, particularly Scratchy's drunken gunfire, becomes an immediate problem. The first person narrator sees this in the moment: a danger to the narrator's personal well-being and everyone else. While the tone of Crane's original piece seems humorous, in the long-run, and functions as a parody, this first person version shows how the content at hand could just as easily have gone towards more grim circumstances. He's dangerous enough to block access to the saloon, he's dangerous enough that nobody confronts him except the sheriff, and he's dangerous enough that the saloon patrons feel genuine fear; this should be alone to provide a context where Scratchy is taken as more than a joke, but, strangely enough, it's hardly visible unless the story is told in a first-person lens. It makes it really interesting when considering that Crane likely didn't want this serious tone and, perhaps, he thought of this when choosing how to write the story. Nice retelling of the story! ~Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of your commenters on the retelling of the story.

    ReplyDelete